Welcome to David Gage String Instruments
Founded in 1978 by bassist David Gage, our shop specializes in the sale, restoration, and repair of upright basses, cellos, violas, and violins. Our client roster ranges from great orchestral musicians to jazz, rock 'n roll, country, and world music performers. We serve professionals, students, and amateurs, and pride ourselves on the care and attention we give each player and their instrument. Our focus is on maximizing the sound potential of the instrument and the playing requirements of the individual musician.
Besides providing a full range of luthier services (see Repairs), DGSI also sells antique and modern instruments (visit our Instrument Showroom), rents professional quality instruments (see Rentals), and maintains a full stock of bass and cello accessories. We also carry these signature Gage products:
- The Realist™ transducer for bass, cello, violin and viola was designed by David Gage and Ned Steinberger, providing "the best arco and pizz sound of them all."
- The Realist Violin is an acoustic violin with a built-in Realist pickup. It sounds great with amplification and without, available in 4- and 5-string versions, standard or professional quality.
- The Czech-Ease™ Road Bass is a full-sounding bass with an abbreviated body that makes it exponentially more portable than its full-bodied cousins, without losing the true bass sound.
- The Gage Travel Case™ for Bass/Cello was designed by David Gage and is manufactured in the U.S. exclusively for our shop. These cases are "the first class ticket" for your bass, cello, or removable neck bass.
- The Metropolitan Bass Bow is made for professional bassists and takes full advantage of carbon fiber's potential.
- Irving Sloane Bass Machines provide "exceptional smoothness and accuracy" in tuning.
Don't miss our workshop series, held on the second floor of the shop. Featured bassists have included John Patitucci, Harvie S, Ray Drummond, and Christian McBride.
To hear about upcoming workshops, discounts, and other news from the shop, please join our e-list.
- 36 Walker Street,New York, NY 10013
(from June 8 to August 18)
Monday through Friday: 9:30 to 5:30*
Saturday:closed with the exception of June 16, 10-4 by appointment *
*if you can only be in New York during a Saturday within this time period or need to request a later weekday appointment, please call us (212-274-1322) and we shall make an effort to accommodate you.